Saturday, September 19, 2015

RACQ / Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service - Rockhampton Airport operations

Incorporated in December 1995 and commencing operations a short time later in January 1996, the RACQ / Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service (CHRS) provides a 24 hours a day / 365 days a year aeromedical and rapid rescue response service free of charge and operates under a five year rolling contract agreement with the Queensland Government (Queensland Health Department).

Whether in the bush, at sea or a distant mine site - the RACQ / Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service (CHRS) is able to despatch medical or rescue teams to those in need of rapid assistance as well as provide an airborne intensive care unit to transfer critically injured or ill patients to a more appropiate medical facility or conduct a search and rescue mission.

To operate the RACQ / Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service (CHRS), 40% of required funding comes from the Queensland Government while the remaining 60% is funded through donations and proceeds from the public. Needless to say, the aeromedical and rescue service (CHRS) deeply appreciates all fundraising efforts and extremely appreciative of the donations from the Creed family after holding the annual (most years) Old Station Fly-In at Raglan.

Since 2013, Australian Helicopters has been the provider of three Bell 412 helicopters in support of  Mackay Airport based Central Queensland Helicopter Rescue Service (CQRS) and Rockhampton Airport based Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service (CHRS).

Of interest, each chopper can be configured to accommodate five people and a single stretcher or three people and two stretchers in the cabin as well as a passenger or additional crew member up front next to the pilot (co-pilot seat).

Role equipment aboard include a variable speed rescue winch with a 250ft long cable capable of supporting a two person operation (or up to 270kg), a cargo hook with fire fighting bucket capability, night search light & night vision device and a beacon homer.

Flightdeck technology include an aircraft tracking device, autopilot, weather radar / storm scope, IFR GPS, communication and navigation radios to enable IFR flight including HF radio, cockpit voice recorder, flight data recorder, helicopter terrain and warning system, airframe health and usage monitoring system, engine monitoring systems and an airframe / engine vibration monitoring system.

Installed Emergency Services Communication Equipment (ESCE) include marine VHF high band radio, QAS / QFRS VHF low band radio, QPS / CB / Rural Fire UHF band radio and digital mobile phone.

Medical equipment include an QAS trauma kit, medical oxygen (2 x “D” size cylinders), vital signs monitor with defibrillator (Lifepak 12), ventilation (Oxylog 1000), syringe driver (Braun Compact) & mounting for second syringe driver, mounting for IVAC, electric powered medical suction inlets / outlets, intravenous equipment, 2 x patient stretcher systems, the ability to transport a neonatal intensive care cot, 12 volt power outlets, high intensity adjustable field of work medical lighting suitable to night flying and purpose built medical storage areas.

All photo's captured at Emu Park near Yeppoon by Phil Munsel Photography.