The Rockhampton Aero Club is located on the General Aviation (GA) side of Rockhampton Airport with the aero club building situated on the General Aviation access road, off Canoona Road.
The Rockhampton Aero Club was first formed in 1930 as Rockhampton Aerial Services, and started flight training with a de Havilland Gypsy Moth. Following a period of inactivity during the Second World War, the club was reformed in 1947 and purchased surplus Tiger Moths in 1951.
Operating from of a number of buildings since it's inception, the aero club moved into the current premises in 2003, and is worth noting for enthusiasts that on the first Friday of each month commencing between 5pm - 6pm, the club holds a BBQ giving people the chance to chat with the local pilots, instructors and committee members.
At present, the club operates a fleet of single and twin-engine aircraft in a variety of roles which include flying training, general air charter, scenic flights, search and rescue and aerial advertising.
In this post, we take a walk-around look at two of those aircraft, Cessna 172P VH-XUI and Cessna 172S Skyhawk SP VH-ZDX.
Of interest, Cessna 172P VH-XUI was manufactured in 1981, is powered by a Textron-Lycoming O-320-D2J, 4-cylinder piston engine, configured to seat four-people (one pilot, three passengers) and capable of cruising at approximately 105 knots.
Cessna 172S VH-ZDX is a much newer aircraft with a build date of 2003, and also configured to seat four people. This neatly presented Cessna is powered by a Textron-Lycoming IO-360, 4-cylinder piston engine, providing ample power to propel the aircraft to a cruise speed of approximately 125 knots.
For further information about flying training, charter flights and scenic tours - the Rockhampton Aero Club can be contacted on (07) 4922 4596 / 0427 224 596 or by visiting their website at : http://rockhamptonaeroclub.org.au/aeroclub/