Regional Express Airlines, commonly known as REX, is Australia's largest regional airline outside the Qantas group of companies and provides regular passenger transport (RPT) and ad-hoc charter services in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia with a fleet of Swedish built SAAB 340B and 340B+ turboprop aircraft.
In this review, we take a look at the carrier's Queensland operations.
Although REX has been operating in Queensland for a number years, the airline dramatically increased it’s presence in the sunshine state from January 2015 onwards when the company took over a number of subsidised routes from Cairns based Skytrans Airlines on behalf of the Queensland State Government.
These country routes which are sometimes referred to as ‘milk runs’ comprise of the following :
* Gulf : Cairns - Normanton - Gununa / Mornington Island - Burketown - Doomadgee - Mount Isa and return.
* Northern 1 : Townsville - Winton - Longreach and return.
* Northern 2 : Townsville - Hughenden - Richmond - Julia Creek - Mount Isa and return.
* Western 1 : Brisbane - Toowoomba / Wellcamp - St George - Cunnamulla - Thargomindah and return.
* Western 2 : Brisbane - Toowoomba / Wellcamp - Charleville - Quilpie - Windorah - Birdsville - Bedourie - Boulia - Mount Isa and return.
Outside the subsidised routes, Regional Express Airlines also provides RPT services in Far North Queensland connecting Cairns with direct flights to Bamaga, Mount Isa and Townsville.
Regional Express purchased Townsville Airport based aircraft maintenance, overhaul and repair company - Aviex - from Queensland Airports Ltd in March 2015.
However, when Aviex’s largest client, Virgin Australia Regional Airlines, decided to relocate ATR 72 line maintenance to its own facility in Brisbane a few months later, there was not enough work to sustain the company and therefore was closed in August 2015.
To learn more about Regional Express Airlines, or make a booking with the airline, click onto the following link : http://www.rex.com.au/